Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Walk

Sunday September 12, 2010
Today Dennis and I thought we would go down to the lake for a walk, after noticing the car was out of gas thought we better go to Payson to fuel up. When we got out there we decided to drive up Payson Canyon and hike to the Grotto. Neither of us had been there before so we had no idea how long or hard it might be. We started up the trail about 3:15. There were a few people here and there going up and down the trail lots of different ages so we figured we could handle it.


We could hear the water coming down out of the canyon and it sounded like a small creek. At the crossings there were these cool log bridges to walk over.

It was very shady and

cool in the canyon.

Perfect day for a hike.






So I tried to take one of those cute pictures all the kids take where they get close, hold the
camera up and get a cute shot of
themselves with a friend...



Didn't work!
But I kept it anyway.


Dennis was a good sport to stand in the pictures, Maybe
someday he will learn to use the camera so he doesn't have to
be in all of them!
We were wondering what the Grotto was and if we would know it if we saw it or if it would be like the dirt road that suddenly ended (see Vernal post). We came around a corner and the rocks started to close in and Dennis said "I think we are here." Sure enough we went around the corner and saw this Got another Pic of Dennis,
and tried the cute picture thingy, I think this was better, I wouldn't go so far as to say good, but definitely better!Then some dummy saw kids up on top and wanted to see it from up there. This is the trail up.
And here is the trail down. As you can see that tree is barely hanging on. Guess who the dummy was? When I got up there which was above the falls, the kid (wearing a cast already)told me you had to either go this way and jump down or go that way and climb down the tree, either one was doable. I make it a rule never to trust a kid in a cast. So I went back and slid down the trail on my feet. Dennis waited at the bottom but I'm pretty sure it wasn't to catch me, only to identify the body.

It was a fun "hike" and we were back at the car within 30 minutes, I think we will take the kids next week.












































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment